This is one of my favourite things to make. It can be served hot or cold, on it’s own or with another dish, and it could be taken to a dinner party or served up for the family. It’s a crowd-pleaser. And rightfully so! But with the added bonus of it being really, super healthy. Give this ‘Hot Mess’ Rainbow Salad a try – you won’t be disappointed.
1 large sweet potato
1 large carrot
2 capsicums/red peppers
1/2 a head of broccoli
1/2 head of cauliflower
few sprigs of rosemary
4 tsp sweet/smoky paprika
1 generous handful of spinach
100g feta cheese
1 cup walnuts (optional)
salt and pepper for seasoning
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Chop the carrot, beet and sweet potato into small chunks (slightly smaller for the beet as it takes longer to cook).
3. Roughly chop a few sprigs of rosemary.
4. Place the carrot, beet, sweet potato and half of the rosemary in a large oven-proof dish with a generous drizzle of olive oil (enough that all the veg have a light coat). Sprinkle over 2 tsp of the paprika and then place the dish in the oven for 1hr.
5. Meanwhile, chop the broccoli and cauliflower into small florets and chop the capsicums into rough chunks.
6. Place the broccoli, cauliflower and capsicums into a second oven-proof dish, then drizzle over with olive oil as previously done. Add the remaining rosemary, sprinkle over 2tsp of paprika, and then pop the dish in the oven, roughly around when you are 15/20 minutes into the hour cooking time. Give the first dish a little stir through at this point, too.
7. Whilst the veg have roughly 45 minutes cooking time left, you can prepare the rest of the salad. Put the spinach in a large bowl, crumble the feta and crush/chop the walnuts.
8. Remove the veg from the oven when they are finished cooking and leave to cool.
9. Once cool, add all of the veg, the walnuts and the feta to the bowl with the spinach in. Give it a good mix and a stir through.
Et voila! 1 perfect hot mess of a rainbow salad, packed full of nutrients and vitamins. Serve it up with some grilled chicken or fish, or have it as a small dish on it’s own! Eat and enjoy.