It’s got to be said – early morning starts aren’t for everyone! However, they’re often unavoidable and they nearly always have the power to change the path of your day. Let’s not let that happen! Instead, here are 5 simple ways to upgrade your morning routine, with little effort or change from you.
1. Wake up early enough to gather your thoughts and clear your head. I always find that rushing in the morning is the absolute worst. You know those days where you leap out of bed because you snoozed for too long, throw your clothes on and run out of the house without breakfast? Yes, those days are horrid. It also sets you up for a bad day because before you even enter the workplace you’re stressed, irritable and rushed. Instead, make some time to wake up slowly and gather your thoughts before you climb out of bed. This way you will have time to take notice and appreciate little things that might make you smile.
2. Have your outfit prepared and ready the night before. This is something that I do every night, because first thing in the morning I’m incapable of making good choices! If ever I’m too lazy to prepare my outfit, I end up stood in front of my wardrobe for AGES trying to make my mind up. Whereas if I do it the night before, I can check the weather, plan accordingly and lay it all out ready to go. This also eliminates the need to make too many decisions in the morning.
3. Get a hold over your social media addiction. Possibly the hardest habit to break but the most rewarding. Instead of waking up and immediately reaching for your phone, just pause to actually wake up and think about you. You deserve it! Plus, the positivity will feel far better than the negative comparisons you could instead draw between your life and other’s social media portrayals. Appreciate the here and now and save your social media binge until a little later in the day when your brain is more awake.
4. Meditate. A concept that is a little new to me, but an amazing one nonetheless. I’ve felt an overwhelming sense of calm and clarity since I’ve started meditating and studying the practise of. It’s a beautiful way to allow your body to wake up before your mind actually does, which not many of us take the time to do. If you can spare an extra 10-15 minutes in the morning, download the Headspace app and give it a go for ten days. See how you feel – you might surprise yourself.
5. Enjoy your breakfast. It’s the most important meal of the day after all, so take the time to make it as such. Choose to eat something nutritious and enjoyable and you will feel better for it. However if you struggle to find the time in the morning, why not prep something the night before? You could make some overnight oats or prepare everything needed for a smoothie.