Vanilla cupcakes are one of the simplest, most common of cakes to bake, yet there are a thousand different recipes out there all claiming to be good and easy and simple! Now, as someone who LOVES baking (and eating cake), I have tried and tested a lot of these recipes and I can safely say that not all of them are as wonderful as they advertise themselves to be. Even some vanilla cupcakes that I buy from coffee shops can be a total letdown! Therefore, to put an end to the limitless task of finding a good cupcake recipe, I decided to share with you one that I created, tweaked and moulded to perfection for myself. Behold – my recipe for perfect vanilla cupcakes.
180g butter (at room temperature)
180g caster sugar
180g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1. Preheat the oven to 180*/gas mark 4
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
3. Beat in the eggs one at a time, ensuring that each one is thoroughly mixed through before adding another.
4. Add in the vanilla extract and baking powder.
5. Sieve in 1/3 of the flour and gently fold. Repeat until all the flour has been added.
6. Line a muffin tray with cupcake cases and then dollop a tablespoon of mixture into each case. Spread the mixture as evenly as you can around the bottom of the case.
7. Bake for 20 mins, or until golden brown. If you’re unsure, insert a skewer into the middle of a cupcake and if it comes out clean, it’s cooked.
8. When cooked, transfer to a cooling rack.
9. Once the cupcakes are cooled, you can decorate as you wish! I chose to lather mine in buttercream and cover with sprinkles and smarties (they were for a children’s bake sale, okay).
EAT and ENJOY!