Sausage rolls are the perfect little food, be it a snack, a party food or a picnic item. They also seem to be my go-to when a friend throws a soiree and requests a buffet plate – meaning that over the years I have perfected an easy peasy recipe for the perfect sausage roll with the added twist of a little spicy heat!
400g sausage meat
350g puff pastry
pinch of salt
dash of pepper
teaspoon of smoked paprika
1 teaspoon of chilli flakes
pinch of cumin
1 teaspoon of chilli powder (as hot as you like)
1 egg yolk
pinch of flour
1. Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/gas 4.
2. Roll out your puff pastry onto a surface that has been lightly dusted with flour and then cut it into two long rectangle strips of roughly 15cm x 40cm.
3. Put your sausage meat in a bowl and mix in the smoked paprika, pepper, chilli flakes and cumin.
4. Split your sausage meat in two and then shape into two long sausage shapes that will fit down the middle of you pastry halves.
5. Mix the egg yolk with a splash of milk in a separate bowl and then beat together.
6. Lightly brush the egg yolk mixture all over the pastry that is either side of the sausage meat.
7. Fold the pastry over the top of the sausage to meet the other side and then press together to seal it.
8. Brush over the sausage rolls with the egg mixture again and then sprinkle the tops with a pinch of rock salt and pepper if you like!
9. Slice the sausage rolls widthways to create chunks.
10. Place onto a tray with a sheet of greaseproof underneath to stop them from sticking and then place in the oven. Cook for 25mins or until golden brown and flaky. Serve hot or cold!
I recently served some of these up at a gorgeous picnic in London with pals and they went down a treat. Why don’t you give it a go next time?